Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Year of Blogging. . . remembering why I started

I've been at blogging for a year now. I have enjoyed the experience and hated it. I have blogged a lot and blogged a little. I have mulled over what attracts and repells readers, what kind of person you think I am by reading my blogs if you don't know me personally. I have come to several conclusions and thus, blogs with more heart on my sleeve content have slowed considerably. More on all that . . . maybe . . . later. In thinking about the year, I went back to why I began blogging in the first place. Sounded really good and still resonates with my heart for writing. So here's my first blog ever with a few details changed. If you've stuck with me for a year, thanks! I'm honored you're my friend! :-)

------------------------

Dearest Friends and Readers,
I've decided it's time to join the world of blogging and start one of my own. Not really for the need for anyone to read it, or find it, or even follow it; but solely for the purpose of declaring the goodness of my God in the daily grind of motherhood and my life. I believe with all my heart, everything in my life is for preparation for the future. . . . even if that's simply preparation to reign with my God in heaven!

Psalm 145:1-7
I will praise you, my God and King,
and bless your name forever and ever.
I will bless you every day,
and I will praise you forever.
Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise!
His greatness is beyond discovery!
Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts.
I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles.
Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue;
I will proclaim your greatness.
Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness,
they will sing with joy of your righteousness.

Who am I? In short (laugh now if you know me!!), I am a LOVER of JESUS because I am His sister, his bride. My purpose is to bring Him glory and partner with Him to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to earth in order to displace the rule of darkness. I have been given the privilege of doing that in many different ways, in several places around the world, simply by living out the fullness of life and power that comes from Him in all circumstances and venues (Eph 3: 19).
I am the wife of an amazing man of God, Heath Locke. I am the mother of our four beautiful children, Abiel Kay (11), Judah Allen (8), Asher Chaim (5), and Elianna Charis (2 1/2). I work at home as a cook, teacher, house cleaner, mediator, principal, administrator, babysitter, shepherd, nurse, comforter, companion, friend, and cheerleader! Just call me "Mom." On second thought, don't. You can call me friend.
When I have any time for myself I enjoy many things! I love reading, writing, journaling, hiking, being in nature, exercising, loving on people, discipling, worshiping, singing, traveling, watching a really thought provoking movie or true story, being filled up with Jesus, playing speed scrabble, being alone with Jesus.

Our life and marriage has been characterized by crazy obedience, adventure, and sometimes insanity!! In case you don't know us, five years ago, we quit our youth pastor position, sold everything and prepared to go to Africa forever. But God had different plans! He took us to Beavercreek, OR to live with strangers who became family. We learned more about true ministry in that 14 months than any time prior. We then headed to Pemba, Mozambique, Africa for 6 months and unexpectedly to Nelspruit, South Africa for another 6 months after visa problems, only to come back to the States worn, exhausted and a bit confused. God landed us in the farmland of Strathmore, California for a season of hiding, restoration, and preparation. It has been a beautiful time. Now we are sensing the season coming to a close and the doors to our next adventure moving closer, though it is still very vague and undefined. [The season of hiding and restoration was certainly complete after last year. The decision to make this area home base has been made, and now we wait on God for more direction and open doors. God is at work behind the scenes, but we truly have little idea of what life will look like if and when He brings things into full view.]

My hope is that you will enjoy following my life and be able to see that all the big adventures we experience are born out of the glory of God being lived out in the mundane day to day stuff. I'm just a normal person with normal pressures and normal struggles but living with a very abnormal God inside of me.

Thanks for taking your precious time to read my thoughts and experiences. Blessings in your journey of preparation!

----------------

Post Script: It's funny reading this and feeling much farther away from the reality of living a "crazy life of faith" than we were a year ago. Within this last year, we seriously considered moving again. Instead of moving, we made an earnest decision to make this part of the world our home base for the sake of our kids, fruitful ministry and meaningful relationships we have here. This decision was not made without much deliberation about the impact it will have on our future, ministry, family and friendships. God has confirmed this to be a good decision several times over. The weight of the decision to plant presents most immediate challenge for my pioneering husband. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to be married to a man that values the health and stability of his family more than the opportunities we could pursue. Heath, I know God will honor this decision and still grant the desires of our hearts to pioneer and impact the world, maybe one person at a time. All in preparation, baby!

2 comments:

Serenity said...

I love you Em!
Joining you in the journey of preparation...

Jensamom23 said...

Beautiful, Emie! Continued blessings