Saturday, October 1, 2011

Seeing it differently

I'm reading through the Graham Cooke series "The Way of the Warrior." It has vastly improved my ability to think Jesus thoughts rather than replaying the tapes of discouragement, despair, or negativity. In this endeavor, I have found myself looking at situations differently.
For instance, I had a long day at the school with the kids. I hopped in the van, everyone buckled, turned. . . the. . . key, and . . . . . Hmmm. It wouldn't start. In the not so distant past, I would've immediately thought the worst, totaled up the amount we don't have to fix the van, and been in the "pit of despair" (Princess Bride accent please!).
Instead, I sat there a minute, commanded any little "breakdown demon" to leave and took a deep breath. Standing in the parking lot, just one car away from me, was a beautiful woman dressed in traditional Muslim clothing with her two little boys. I had noticed them out of the corner of my eye when I jumped in the van in a hurry. The thought zipped through my mind to greet her but I didn't. End of thought.
I got out to check the oil (for good measure) while the two little boys eyed me curiously. At that moment, I knew the van problem had NOTHING to do with little breakdown demons or a tune up. I was supposed to introduce myself to this family.
So I did. Nothing earth shattering. She didn't speak much English, but enough to welcome her and introduce myself. I said goodbye, hopped in the van, turned the key . . . and drove away!

Happy Jesus thinking to all of you!