Monday, January 21, 2013

Inspiration to Nonviolence

I think we should pay attention to what moves us to tears.  Those stories, people, events are often connected to our destiny.  What breaks my heart?  Inspires me to move forward?  If I continue to follow the Lord and walk through doors he opens and explore ideas he presents to me, I believe I'll find my life connected to the stories that move me to tears.

Martin Luther King, Jr and Gandhi inspire me.  I cannot engage in their stories without sobbing.  I recently read a short book called, "Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way," by Walter Wink.  If you are moved by MLK Jr. or Gandhi, you really need to read this book.  Really.  What I'm saying is, READ "Jesus and Nonviolence."  :-)

There is a beautiful strength in nonviolent, non-wimpy revolution.  And Jesus was the greatest leader in this of all mankind.  "Jesus, lead us first into your heart, in intimacy and then lead us wherever you would take us to bring your Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven."

Here's a link to part of Jason Upton's song, "Never Alone Martin."  It's worth 5 minutes.

Thank you to all those who bring the love and justice of Jesus to a hurting world in bondage.

No comments: